Explore Rich History
Option A: Ybor City
- Start off your morning with the traditional local breakfast of café con leche and Cuban toast at La Tropicana in Ybor City. The best time to catch the local flavor is between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.
- Stop in at Centro Ybor's Visitor Information Center that doubles as a cigar museum. Pick up a handy map to get the lay of the land of Tampa's National Historic Landmark District Ybor City.
- The Ybor City State Museum focuses on the heritage of Ybor City and the people who settled here. Saturday morning tours start at 10:30 a.m. and include the museum and casitas.
- Stroll Seventh Avenue (La Setima) to take in the wrought iron balconies, old time globe street lamps, historic markers and specialty shops.
- Lunch at one of the many local eateries like the Columbia Restaurant, open since 1905 and considered the oldest restaurant in Florida.
- Take the TECO Line Streetcar System from Ybor City to downtown Tampa. The streetcars are replicas of the system the ran throughout Tampa in the early 1900s.
Option B: Downtown Tampa
- Exhibits at the Tampa Bay History Center give a glimpse into five centuries of regional history, archeology and multicultural heritage.
- Henry B. Plant Museum tells the story of Tampa's railroad magnate, it Tampa's beginnings as a visitor destination and as the point of embarkation during the Spanish-American War including the colorful story of Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders.
- Rest your head at the Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn, which was renovated from a former clinic circa 1895.
Option C: Historic Plant City
- Take I-4 east to Plant City. Follow Park Road south to the Visitor Information Center where you will get information and directions to Historic Downtown Plant City.
- A visit to Historic Downtown should include a stop at the 1914 Community Center, home of the East Hillsborough Historical Society Museum and Archives Center.
- Visit the historic railroad depot, now a Welcome Center and Railroad Museum.
- Browse through the many antique and retail shops; dine at one of the many unique restaurants.